December 2014 Meeting Minutes

February 15, 2015 in Meeting Minutes by brian

Shipoke Neighborhood Association
Minutes of Board of Directors Meeting
December 1, 2014 7:00 P.M.

Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Vice President Mary Beth Follett at 7:10 p.m.

Members Present: Betsy Dorbian, Ellie Martindale, Mary Beth Follett, Betty MacLaughlin, Kathy Marley-Dunbar, Melanie Mulkey, Maria Iaria, Shirley Marks and Brian Moore.

Minutes: The minutes from the November 4, 2014 meeting were approved.

Treasurer’s Report: Written and verbal reports approved.
Beginning Balance as of 10/31/14: $7,662.90
Income: 00.00
Expenses: (Melanie Campbell, Halloween) 83.94 Ending Balance as of 10/31/14: $
7578.05

Our guest, Dave Botero, the Community Police Liaison, attended the meeting and led a discussion of concerns presented by Board members. He noted he deals with “quality of life issues” and has been meeting with community organizations such as Friends of Midtown and Capitol Area Neighbors. The following concerns were discussed:

  • Dogs off leash: He suggested we call the police non-emergency number and also call or email him. If possible, the caller should have as much information as possible, i.e. is dog registered, description of dog and owner’s name. Dave will prepare a letter to the owner of the dog.
  • Noise: He asked that we call the police non-emergency number and also call or email him. He will prepare a letter to the owner and/or visit the property and speak with the owner.
  • Garbage from abandoned homeless site under South Bridge: We should contact Aron Johnson, Director of Public Works, and request that the area be cleaned up. Also call or email Dave.
  • New homeless camp: We should call or email Dave with location and any other details. He stated he would handle the situation in a cordial and sensitive way.
  • Theft of property from garages, vehicles & front doorsteps, graffiti: We should call the police non-emergency number and report the problem with as much detail as possible.
  • If anyone feels threatened: Call 911 immediately with as much information as possible, i.e. age, race, male, female, clothes, gun, vehicle information.
  • Right turn on red at Comfort Inn: Email or call Dave. He will contact determine if it’s a legitimate no right turn and he will work on making changes, where necessary.
  • Update on murder at Walnut Street Bridge: Dave had nothing new to report.

When asked what we can do to help him, Dave stated that we should stay in contact with him. He requested we send him meeting minutes, send emails and call him with concerns. He stressed that changes take time and to be patient with the process.

Contact information for Dave Botero: 255-7326 (work) and dbotero@cityofhbg.com

Committee Reports

Crime Watch:

Two incidents were reported:

  • A Showers St. resident reported someone was in her garage on two separate occasions.
  • A Tuscarora St. resident reported a dog fight at Tuscarora & Showers Streets.

Social:

  • The March Social was discussed. The dates of March 15 and March 29 were chosen and Dave Witwer will be asked to contact the John Harris Mansion for availability. It will be a pot luck dinner with entertainment or a speaker. This will be further discussed at the January meeting.

Beautification:

  • It was decided to wait until spring to stabilize the fence at Race St. Park.
  • UGI has completed their work on Front Street.

Communication:

Suggested items for the next newsletter are:

  • Be sure to lock cars.
  • Don’t keep items visible in cars.
  • Residents should continue to be alert and keep areas around their homes lighted as a deterrent to crime. If they see someone who is questionable, they should contact the police and if there is a crime event of any kind, call Crime Watch captain, Melanie Mulkey.

Fundraising:

  • Regarding the Ground Hog Party, Betsy Dorbian reported her sister has volunteered to do t-shirts for the event and she has contacted No Last Call for entertainment. Additional plans will be discussed at the January meeting.

Old Business:

  • After discussion, Shirley was requested to file a Codes Complaint for 622 Showers Street for rubbish, broken gate and flimsy fence.

New Business:

  • Kathy reported that Glen has been working on a presentation regarding myths and realities of flood insurance. It was decided to have a special meeting for this presentation. We would need a venue and Glen requests at least 15 people attend.
  • It was noted that Premier Eye has been sold. Signage will be installed at the parking lots stating the lots are for patient use only between the hours of 6:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
  • It was reported that 329 South Front Street has been sold and the new owner plans to restore the property.

Next Meeting: Monday, January 5, 2014 at 7:00 P.M. at the home of Melanie & Curtis Mulkey

Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 8:25p.m.

Shirley Marks, Secretary