February 2015 Meeting Minutes

April 10, 2015 in Meeting Minutes by brian

Shipoke Neighborhood Association
Minutes of Board of Directors Meeting
February 2, 2015 7:00 P.M.

Call to Order:  The meeting was called to order by Co-President Mary Beth Follett at 7:00 p.m.

Members Present:  Mary Beth Follett, Joanne Kaldy, Kathy Marley-Dunbar, Marie Iaria, Betty MacLaughlin, Shirley Marks, Ellie Martindale and Dave Witwer.

Invited Guests:  Rod Kautz and Mike Snyder.

Minutes:  The minutes from the January 5, 2015 meeting were approved.

Treasurer’s Report:  Written and verbal reports approved.
Beginning Balance as of 12/30/14:            $7578.05
Income:                                                        0.00
Expenses:                                                    340.70
Outstanding Check DCHS:                           150.00
Ending Balance as of 1/31/15:                     $7087.35

Committee Reports:

Crime Watch:

    • It was reported that a storm door was damaged at a home on Hanna Street.
    • A noise complaint was filed on a house on Tuscarora Street.

Communications:

    • Joanne reported she emailed the Penn Live link and also pictures from Fox News and Channel 21 News regarding the Groundhog Day event to Brian Moore to post on our Web page.
    • She will also ask Brian to give interested board members social media training.

 Social:

    • In planning for our March Social, Dave Witwer contacted the John Harris Mansion and reserved Sunday, March 29 for the SNA Spring Social.  Kathy will contact Charles Lee for entertainment.  The event will be a covered dish and BYOB.
    • The recent Groundhog Day Event was discussed.  From comments received, attendees appreciated the opportunity to meet with neighbors and felt it was a huge success, well organized and gave the neighborhood good PR.  Joanne will send thank you letters to Mayor Papenfuse, Hal Fox, Kim Leggett and Al Rodriguez.

Beautification:

    • Replacement of the fence around the Conoy Street Playground was discussed.  Mike will check whose responsibility it is to replace the fence – the Shipoke neighborhood or the City.

Upcoming Events and Plans:

    • Joanne reviewed our plans to promote the neighborhood:
      • Use Twitter and Facebook more extensively.
      • Keep the website updated with future event details and then post pictures and other information when the events have been held.
      • Keep the website updated with SNA board minutes.
      • Plan activities that would attract more visitors to our area such as a Garden Tour, Arts in the Park and a River Party.
      • Rod Kautz suggested we connect with other organizations in the City such as the Susquehanna Art Museum.
      • Mike Snyder suggested, in conjunction with another event, we have artists decorate large flower pots and Master Gardeners do plantings in them.  We could approach local merchants to donate the pots and plants.
      • Mike also noted that it is likely we could qualify for funding for projects through a Stream Grant with Jump Street.  He volunteered to assist with the grant writing.
      • It was suggested we invite realtors to a board meeting for their ideas to promote our area.
      • Glen Dunbar has put together a seminar on flood insurance which could educate prospective homeowners, current homeowners and renters.
      • Mike stated the Cuban Restaurant should be opening in March which will bring visitors to the neighborhood.
      • A “Save the Date” flyer for upcoming neighborhood events will be prepared, emailed and hand delivered to each home.
      • The following committees were formed to discuss details/budgets for future events:
        • (Spring) Arts in the Park (including realtors, house tours & pots) – Marie Iaria, Mary Beth Follett, Shirley Marks, Kathy Marley-Dunbar, Mike Snyder, Rod Kautz.
        • (Fall) River Party – Joanne Kaldy, Dave Witwer, Rod Kautz, Mary Beth Follett.

Fundraising:

    • Ellie volunteered to chair the Flea Market to be held Saturday, July 11 from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.  She will apply for the permit, request more trash cans and will request that Conoy Street is closed for the event.
    • In April we will begin planning meetings and set up committees.
    • Ellie is organizing the procedure book.
    • Mary Beth will check on liability coverage for the event.
    • Susan Fahey will prepare a list of vendors to contact.

New Business:

  • Concerns were presented regarding responsibilities and deadlines for snow removal.  Mike will provide a copy of the City ordinance.
  • Mike noted that as of November, 2014 City codes have changed.  There are specific codes that apply to residents who reside in historic districts.
  • Rod asked members for their support at the March 2 HARB meeting.  He made changes to a portion of his home without a building permit and will appear before the board to discuss the assessed fine he received.  Mike noted that there is a minimal fee to obtain a building permit and projects are to be presented to the Harrisburg Architectural Review Board before the project begins.
  • Rod volunteered to write an article regarding specific ordinances and where to find them.
  • Mike will check on available grants to replace damaged sidewalks in front of homes.
  • Judy Polliard reported her concern for street repairs that are needed at Tuscarora and Showers Streets near the Premier Eye parking lot.  Premier Eye will be contacted and it will be reported to the City for their review.
  • Melanie and Curtis Mulkey will represent the SNA at a community association meeting scheduled in March.
  • Bill Cluck is considering running for District Justice.  This is for information only as the board does not support specific individuals or political parties.

Next Meeting:  Tuesday, March 3

Adjournment:   The meeting adjourned at 8:15 p.m.

Shirley Marks, Secretary