April 2015 Meeting Minutes

July 20, 2015 in Meeting Minutes by brian

Shipoke Neighborhood Association
Minutes of Board of Directors Meeting
April 6, 2015 7:00 P.M.

Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Co-President Joanne Kaldy at 7:00 p.m.

Members Present: Betsy Dorbian, Mary Beth Follett, Gene Gangwish, Maria Iaria, Joanne Kaldy, Betty MacLaughlin, Kathy Marley-Dunbar, Rod Kautz, Shirley Marks, Ellie Martindale and Brian Moore.

Joanne opened the meeting by noting that we should look at our organization, specifically:

  • What is our mission
  • Board member responsibilities
  • Attendance at board meetings

After discussion, it was agreed to invite one or two neighborhood residents to each of our board meetings to get their feedback and ideas.

Minutes: The minutes from the March 10, 2015 meeting were approved. A copy of the approved minutes are sent each month to Dave Botera, Community Police Liaison with the City of Harrisburg.

Treasurer’s Report: Written and verbal reports were approved.

Beginning Balance as of 2/28/15: $7339.36
Income: 0.00
Expenses 0.00
Ending Balance as of 3/31/15: $7339.36

Committee Reports

Communications:

  • Joanne is receiving good feedback from Facebook and Twitter. She thanked everyone for their contributions and encouraged them to continue postings on our social media accounts.
  • Ellie will prepare the monthly email newsletter.

Social:

  • Joanne noted that our annual March Social & General Membership Meeting on Sunday, March 29 at the John Harris Mansion was well organized and successful. Those attending especially enjoyed our entertainer, Charles Lee.
  • The annual Easter Egg Hunt on Saturday, April 4 in the Conoy Street Playground Park was well attended with about 20 children and 20 adults in attendance. The Senators mascot was a hit with the children. Dave Witwer chaired both events.
  • A Shipoke Night at a Senators game is being planned by Melanie.

Beautification:

  • A neighborhood cleanup is planned for Friday, April 17 from 6:30 to 8:00. Gene will host a BYOB gathering at his home after the work session.
  • Mulch day is scheduled for Saturday, April 24 from 8:00 to Noon. Gene will provide coffee and donuts.

Codes:

  • Marie reported that residents on River Street are leaving their trash cans in front of their homes. Julie Iaria will prepare a letter and Joanne will forward it to City Council member, Shamaine Daniels, for her review of the situation.
  • A Property Maintenance Complaint will be sent to the Bureau of Codes to report JR’s Auto Repair for piles of trash on their property as well as multiple cars parked beside and in back of their building. There was concern expressed that this situation could deter a prospective buyer for the Vine Street Methodist Church.
  • Shirley will follow up on complaints that have been filed over the past several months with the Bureau of Codes.

Fundraising:

  • Regarding the Flea Market to be held on July 11, Ellie reported she has the form for special event insurance and is proceeding with completing forms required by the City. She will apply for the permit, request more trash cans and will request that Conoy Street is closed for the event.
  • Kathy, Shirley and Rod will chair the Arts in the Park fundraiser to be held on Sunday, June 14 from 10:00 to 4:00. They will contact several of the “Seven Lively Artists” as well as resident artists to do and show their work along Riverfront Park. A pot decorating contest (Pots in the ‘Poke) will be held with interested residents receiving an 18” pot to plant, which will be judged by the Master Gardeners and prizes awarded to the top three. They will prepare a flyer with details and hand deliver them to each home. An update will be given at the next meeting. The board approved $200 for expenses.

Old Business

  • Mary Beth noted that potholes she reported to the City are starting to be repaired.
  • It was reported that the new Cuban restaurant will open on approximately May 1. The parking issue was discussed.

New Business

  • It was noted that three properties that have been for sale now have “Sale Pending” on their signs.
  • Betsy reported that she attended a meeting of Bike Share Harrisburg. This is an initiative to bring a bike share program to the City of Harrisburg so that residents, visitors and workers can travel in an easy and convenient manner. In order to learn more about the program, Betsy was asked to invite representatives of the group to one our meetings.
  • In an effort to promote our organization, it was agreed to meet with the Harrisburg Young Professionals leadership to discuss collaboration of our groups.

Next Meeting: Monday, May 4 at the home of Shirley Marks

Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 8:20 p.m.

Shirley Marks, Secretary