June 2016 Meeting Minutes
Shipoke Neighborhood Association Minutes
June 6, 2016
1. Call to order
2. Present: David Witwer, Gene Gangwish, Christ Altman, Kathy Dunbar, Ellie Martindale, Brian Moore, Betty MacLaughlin, Chris Stoudt
3. — Bob Haigh, Betsey Dorbian, Kayla Thornton, Sebastian Schrank, Mike O’Donnell, Jose Manjon, Mary Beth Follett and Rod Kautz were excused.
4. The minutes of the May meeting were approved.
5. No Treasurer’s Report was available.
6. Committee Reports:
Ellie will be sending out more information regarding the upcoming flea market.
Board members discussed the possiblity of having a Shipoke Night Out, perhaps picking a day for neighborhood people to show up for a happy hour event on a Monday evening at Los Tres Cubanos.
Someone broke into a garage in the 600 block of Shower Street and stole some carpentry equipment. It happened soon after the Harrisburg Young Professionals’ tour of the neighborhood.
The Board discussed bills submitted to pay for the mulch on Mulch Day. They also discussed where the order now stands for the purchase of pet poop pick up stations for the Race Street Park. The city arborist has been contacted regarding three dead trees located on city park land in the neighborhood. The board also discussed various possible plantings in Race Street, including a possible pollinator planting location. The board also mentioned the set of trees newly planted along the Front Street/River Front Park.
Board members discussed codes issues with two houses on Canoy Street that have repair problems. They also discussed issues with JR Tire, and the trash containers in front of Premier Eye Care.
Eillie Martindale reported on preparations for the Flea Market .
7. Old Business:
- The board reviewed the May 21st home tour of the neighborhood undertaken by the Harrisburg Young Professionals.
- The board discussed issues involving gaining non-profit status for the association. Mike Donnell is still researching this issue.
8. New Business
- On June 9th there will be a meeting at the Passage to India with an expert on flood abatement measures
- There was discussion of possibly planning a dog’s night out for the neighborhood.
- Also some discussion on what the neighborhood might do for the National Night Out in August, including a potential scavenger hunt.
- Brian Moore raised the issue of how our neighborhood is listed within NextDoor.com and steps we might take to change this configuration, along with potential benefits of doing so.
9. Date and Location of next meeting – Monday, July 5th at 7 pm. At the home of Brian Moore.
10. Adjournment – The meeting adjourned at 8:30 pm