May 2016 Meeting Minutes
Shipoke Neighborhood Association Minutes
May 2, 2016
1. Call to order
2. Present: David Witwer, Christ Altman, Kathy Dunbar, Ellie Martindal, Mary Beth Follett, Brian Moore, Gene Gangwish, Rod Kautz, Betty MacLaughlin, Chris Stoudt
3. — Bob Haigh, Betsey Dorbian, Kayla Thornton, Sebastian Schrank, Mike O’Donnell, and Gene Gangwish were excused.
4. The minutes of the April meeting were approved.
5. Treasurer’s Report: Bank Statement Balance as of 4/292016
BEGINNING BALANCE $7555.74
(no expenses and no income)
ENDING BALANCE 4/29/2016 $ 7555.24
6. Committee Reports:
The board discussed the need to send out reminders about the upcoming Mulch Day. They discussed putting up notifications about the upcoming Shipoke Art in the Park in the Association’s Facebook page.
Board members discussed the upcoming Harrisburg Young Professionals House Tour in the neighborhood.
The Board discussed Mulch day, which is scheduled for May 7th at 8 am. David agreed to talk with Kathy Vanderwoude to see if she would be willing to plant flowers at the entrance to the Race Street Park, which is something she graciously did last year.
Board members discussed codes issues with two houses on Canoy Street that have repair problems. They also discussed issues with JR Tire, including its non-approved sign put out on Front Street and the overflow of its work on the sidewalk.
Eillie Martindale reported on preparations for the Flea Market and the fact that she has done an inventory on the supplies still available which will allow her to gauge what needs to be purchased. Community Thrift shop will come by at the end of the flea market to pick up the unwanted items.
There was also discussion of the plans for the upcoming Pots in the Park and Art in the Park events, scheduled for May 29, 2016.
7. Old Business:
- The board discussed the planned home tour in the neighborhood being undertaken by the Harrisburg Young Professionals (HYP). The tour is planned for May 21st. The tour will no longer include food trucks.
- The board discussed issues involving dogs in the neighborhood; these issues included dogs who were allowed off the leash and the failure of some residents to pick up their dog’s poop. There was also discussion of possible social events that could be built around pet owners’ shared interests, e.g. a possible happy hour called “Wet Nose Wednesday,” in which the association could hand out dog treats and doggie bags.
8. New Business
- Kathy Dunbar has had to step down from her position as the Association Treasurer. Chris Stoudt agreed to take over that role and in doing so she resigned as the Social Committee Chair.
- The Social Committee Chair position remained unfilled.
9. Date and Location of next meeting – Monday, June 6th at 7 pm. At the home of Chris Altman.
10. Adjournment – The meeting adjourned at 8:30 pm