by brian

September 2016 Meeting Minutes

November 6, 2016 in Meeting Minutes by brian

Shipoke Neighborhood Association
Board Meeting Minutes
9/6/2016

Meeting Date/Time: September 6 2016, 7 pm Called to order by Mary Beth Follett

Members Present: Ellie Martindale, Kathy Marley-Dunbar, Mary Beth Follett, Brian Moore, Betsy Dorbian, Rod Kautz, Chris Altman, Betty MacLaughlin
Members Excused: Gene Gangwich, Bob Haigh

Review Minutes: Approved as written.

Treasurer’s Report: Approved.
BEGINNING BALANCE: $10159.85
ENDING BALANCE: $9563.68
ACTIVITY:
Income: $0.00
Expenses: $596.17
OUTSTANDING CHECKS: $0.00

Committee Reports

  • Crime Watch:
    A home break-in was reported at 111 Washington Street. The lock on the front door was disabled via the mail slot. Neighbors did not see anything, and Pinnacle does not have cameras running in that area. The board will remind that car doors should be locked, and no valuables left in sight.
  • Social:
    Fall Festival: Tentatively scheduled for October 22. Ribs and baked beans were suggested. Rod will investigate permit for closing Showers street. Mary Beth will contact the band to determine availability. We will also incorporate the childrens’ Halloween costume parade into this event.

    Save the Day 5k: Charity race to benefit the Inclusion Project will be held on October 8. The race will feature a superhero theme. Registration will be in Race Street Park, and the race will begin and end in on Front Street.

  • Beautification:
    Four trees have been donated to replace those recently removed due to Emerald Ash Borer damage. The city would like help planting them. Mary Beth will ask Gene if we want to incorporate this into fall clean-up. We will also send an email to neighbors regarding the date for the clean-up when chosen.

    The outside perimeter of playground has a lot of weeds, as does the area under the railroad bridge on Front St.

    A second dog bag station was suggested for across from the hotel on Race Street.

  • Communication:
    More email sign ups reported by Ellie.

    A Facebook post about the bus stop was made.

    The board may possibly send a reminder that city street parking is first come, first served. There are no guarantees that anyone will be able to get a spot in front of their house.

    Mary Beth will also put a reminder about dog cleanup in all mailboxes.

    We will promote Nextdoor.com registration on the email newsletter and welcome letter.

Old Business

  • Property Issues:
    May want to restate that all exterior alterations should go through HARB for approval. This is the case even for non-historic properties, due to their location within a historic district.

    Mary Beth has submitted info to Impact Harrisburg for flood mitigation grant proposals, such as providing all residents with new elevation certificates, and elevating existing properties.

  • Security Cameras:
    $100 was offered to residents who wish to buy a security camera that is registered w/ Harrisburg Police. We will contact NEST or a comparable company to see if they can offer their recommendations.

New Business

  • Betsy Dorbian will be the new treasurer.
  • Several potential new board members.
  • Mary Beth will be meeting on September 7, 5:30pm in the playground w/ Sprocket Mural Works to discuss possibly paint a mural on the side of the hotel. The group has done several other murals around the city.

Next Meeting: 10/3 Rod’s house.
Adjournment: Meeting was adjourned at 8:10.

by brian

August 2016 Meeting Minutes

November 6, 2016 in Meeting Minutes by brian

Shipoke Neighborhood Association Board Meeting Minutes
August 1, 2016

1. Meeting Date/Time:  August 1, 2016 7 pm called to order by Mary Beth Follett

2. Members Present:  Ellie Martindale, Kathy Marley-Dunbar, Mary Beth Follett, Bob Hosteter, Gene Gangwish, Brian Moore, ,Rod Kautz,
Members Excused:  Jose Manjon, Kayla Thornton, Sebastian Schrank, Michael O’Donnell, Chris Altman, Betsy Dorbian

3. Review Minutes:  Approved as written.

4. Treasurer’s Report:  Approved.
BEGINNING BALANCE:
ACTIVITY:     Income:
Expenses:
ENDING BALANCE:    $10,159.85
OUTSTANDING CHECKS:

5.Committee Reports:

  • Crime Watch:
    Discussion on providing a grant of $100 to 10 residents who purchase and install exterior security cameras.  Several options, pros and cons, were discussed.  This topic was tabled until the next meeting to gather more input.
  • Social:
    October 1st was selected as the date for the general meeting and Fall Fest and Chili Cookoff.  Rod Kautz will head up the planning for the event.  We discussed music, food options, and a possible beer garden.
  • Beautification:
    There are dead trees in the surrounding parks.  Kathy Dunbar will identify the location of the trees and email a list to Mary Beth Follett to forward to the city aborist.  Currently, the city crew is focused on mowing, but when time allows, they will tend to dead trees.

    Scheduling of fall clean up was tabled to the next meeting.

  • Communication:
    Ellie Martindale will write the next monthly newsletter.
  • Fund Raising:
    Ellie Martindale provided a brief review of the Shipoke Annual Flea Market.  Net proceeds were $2690 for 2016.  Proceeds for 2015 were $2524.This is the last year that Ellie Martindale will lead the Flea Market committee.  A new chairman will need to be identified for 2017.  Ellie was thanked for her leadership and hard work for this fundraising effort.

6. Old Business:

  •     Property Issues:  none
  •     Street lights: none
  • Doggie Clean Up stations:  Still backordered.  A “Dog Days of August” Party will be planned when they do arrive.

7. New Business:

  • Frequency of Meetings:  It was decided to continue to have a monthly meeting.
  • Discussion of new board members:  There will be at least four openings that need to be filled.

8. Next Meeting:  Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 591 S. Front St.
Adjourn:  Meeting was adjourned at 8:30.

by brian

July 2016 Meeting Minutes

November 6, 2016 in Meeting Minutes by brian

SHIPOKE NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION BOARD MEETING
July 5, 2016

1. Call to Order:  Mary Beth Follett, President

2. Introduction of Guests Bill Cunningham

3. Approval of Minutes:  Approved.

4. Financial Report
BEGINNING BALANCE:  7930.74
INCOME:         500.00
ENDING BALANCE:    8410.74

5. Committee Reports

  • Communications
    Nextdoor changes:  Brian Moore was added as a lead.  He has requested of Next Door to change which neighborhoods Shipoke automatically receives news feeds from.

    Boost of Facebook posts:  A small advertising boost increased the number of page views in preparation for Flea Market.

  • Crime:
    The city is changing the way it tracks and reports crime.  This is to replace the former police blotter.  The city would like to inventory businesses and homeowners who have security cameras.  It is a valuable tool in identifying criminals.
  • Social
    Fall General Meeting/Social – should we set a date?  Discuss ideas.
  • Beautification
    Dead trees. City focused on grass mowing for now.Ash Borers have killed several trees.  Also, there was a question as to whether the city will remove tree stumps of the trees that were cut earlier this year.
  • Fundraising
    Flea market update. Ellie Martindale provided an update.  The planning process has been complete, and other for some last minute minor detail  All is ready for the flea market.

6. Old Business

  • Doggy Clean up stations: The clean-up stations should arrive this week, and an event will be planned to announce and celebrate the clean-up stations.
  • Flood Mitigation:  Mary Beth Follett will submit application to ImpactHarrisburg for request of funding for elevation certificates for Shipoke.
  • “Dogs Night Out”:  Rod Kautz will take the lead on planning this event.  Chris Altman was volunteered to assist with this event.
  • National Night Out – This will be combined with the Dogs Night Out.
  • Non Profit Status  Still pending

7. New Business

  • New Bus Stop in Shipoke:  CAT will stop in front of the hotel.  It is a flag stop, meaning a rider must wave to the bus to stop to pick them up.  If it is utilized, there is a possibility of making this a permanent stop.  The timeframe is in the fall.

8. Date/Location of next meeting: August 1, 2016 at 7 pm, Host Bob Haigh
Adjournment : 8:30 pm.

by brian

June 2016 Meeting Minutes

November 6, 2016 in Meeting Minutes by brian

Shipoke Neighborhood Association Minutes
June 6, 2016

1. Call to order
2. Present:  David Witwer, Gene Gangwish, Christ Altman, Kathy Dunbar, Ellie Martindale, Brian Moore, Betty MacLaughlin, Chris Stoudt
3. — Bob Haigh, Betsey Dorbian, Kayla Thornton, Sebastian Schrank,  Mike O’Donnell,  Jose Manjon, Mary Beth Follett and Rod Kautz were excused.

4. The minutes of the May meeting were approved.

5. No Treasurer’s Report was available.

6. Committee Reports:

  • Communications:
    Ellie will be sending out more information regarding the upcoming flea market.
  • Social:
    Board members discussed the possiblity of having a Shipoke Night Out, perhaps picking a day for neighborhood people to show up for a happy hour event on a Monday evening at Los Tres Cubanos.
  • Crime:
    Someone broke into a garage in the 600 block of Shower Street and stole some carpentry equipment.  It happened soon after the Harrisburg Young Professionals’ tour of the neighborhood.
  • Beautification:
    The Board discussed bills submitted to pay for the mulch on Mulch Day.  They also discussed where the order now stands for the purchase of pet poop pick up stations for the Race Street Park.  The city arborist has been contacted regarding three dead trees located on city park land in the neighborhood.   The board also discussed various possible plantings in Race Street, including a possible pollinator planting location.   The board also mentioned the set of trees newly planted along the Front Street/River Front Park.
  • Codes:
    Board members discussed codes issues with two houses on Canoy Street that have repair problems.   They also discussed issues with JR Tire, and the trash containers in front of Premier Eye Care.
  • Fundraising:
    Eillie Martindale reported on preparations for the Flea Market .

7. Old Business:

  • The board reviewed the May 21st home tour of the neighborhood  undertaken by the Harrisburg Young Professionals.
  • The board discussed issues involving gaining non-profit status for the association. Mike Donnell is still researching this issue.

8. New Business

  • On June 9th there will be a meeting at the Passage to India with an expert on flood abatement measures
  • There was discussion of possibly planning a dog’s night out for the neighborhood.
  • Also some discussion on what the neighborhood might do for the National Night Out in August, including a potential scavenger hunt.
  • Brian Moore raised the issue of how our neighborhood is listed within NextDoor.com and steps we might take to change this configuration, along with potential benefits of doing so.

9. Date and Location of next meeting – Monday, July 5th  at 7 pm.   At the home of Brian Moore.

10. Adjournment – The meeting adjourned at 8:30 pm

by brian

May 2016 Meeting Minutes

November 6, 2016 in Meeting Minutes by brian

Shipoke Neighborhood Association Minutes
May 2, 2016

1. Call to order
2. Present:  David Witwer, Christ Altman, Kathy Dunbar, Ellie Martindal, Mary Beth Follett, Brian Moore, Gene Gangwish, Rod Kautz, Betty MacLaughlin, Chris Stoudt
3. — Bob Haigh, Betsey Dorbian, Kayla Thornton, Sebastian Schrank,  Mike O’Donnell,  and Gene Gangwish were excused.

4. The minutes of the April meeting were approved.

5. Treasurer’s Report:   Bank Statement Balance as of 4/292016
BEGINNING BALANCE            $7555.74
(no expenses and no income)
ENDING BALANCE 4/29/2016            $ 7555.24

6. Committee Reports:

  • Communications:
    The board discussed the need to send out reminders about the upcoming Mulch Day.  They discussed putting up notifications about the upcoming Shipoke Art in the Park in the Association’s Facebook page.
  • Social:
    Board members discussed the upcoming Harrisburg Young Professionals House Tour in the neighborhood.
  • Beautification:
    The Board discussed Mulch day, which is scheduled for May 7th at 8 am.  David agreed to talk with Kathy Vanderwoude to see if she would be willing to plant flowers at the entrance to the Race Street Park, which is something she graciously did last year.
  • Codes:
    Board members discussed codes issues with two houses on Canoy Street that have repair problems.   They also discussed issues with JR Tire, including its non-approved sign put out on Front Street and the overflow of its work on the sidewalk.
  • Fundraising:
    Eillie Martindale reported on preparations for the Flea Market and the fact that she has done an inventory on the supplies still available which will allow her to gauge what needs to be purchased.  Community Thrift shop will come by at the end of the flea market to pick up the unwanted items.

    There was also discussion of the plans for the upcoming Pots in the Park and Art in the Park events, scheduled for May 29, 2016.

7. Old Business:

  • The board discussed the planned home tour in the neighborhood being undertaken by the Harrisburg Young Professionals (HYP).    The tour is planned for May 21st.  The tour will no longer include food trucks.
  • The board discussed issues involving dogs in the neighborhood;  these issues  included dogs who were allowed off the leash and the failure of some residents to pick up their dog’s poop.   There was also discussion of possible social events that could be built around pet owners’ shared interests, e.g. a possible happy hour called “Wet Nose Wednesday,” in which the association could hand out dog treats and doggie bags.

8. New Business

  • Kathy Dunbar has had to step down from her position as the Association Treasurer.  Chris Stoudt agreed to take over that role and in doing so she resigned as the Social Committee Chair.
  • The Social Committee Chair position remained unfilled.

9. Date and Location of next meeting – Monday, June 6th  at 7 pm.   At the home of Chris Altman.

10. Adjournment – The meeting adjourned at 8:30 pm

by brian

April 2016 Meeting Minutes

November 6, 2016 in Meeting Minutes by brian

Shipoke Neighborhood Association Minutes
April 4, 2016

1. Call to order
2. Present:  David Witwer, Christ Altman, Kathy Dunbar, Ellie Martindale, Betsey Dorbian, Mary Beth Follett, Brian Moore, Jose Manjon, Gene Gangwish, Rod Kautz
3. — Bob Haigh, Betty MacLaughlin, Kayla Thornton, Sebastian Schrank,  Mike O’Donnell, and Chris Stoudt were excused.
–Mira Witwer attended as a guest

4. The minutes of the March meeting were approved.

5. Treasurer’s Report:   Bank Statement Balance as of 1/31/16
BEGINNING BALANCE            $7910.72
INCOME (Craver’s donation)            $23.97 contribution
EXPENSES:
–Constant Contact:    $133.56
–Insurance for Flea Market: $150.89
–City Permit:  $95
Expense total:                                 $379.45
ENDING BALANCE 2/15/16            $ 7555.24

6. Committee Reports:

  • Communications:
    Mira suggested that for future events, such as Art in the Park or the Flea Market, that the board consider advertising via WITF’s arts announcement calendar:  RSVPA.
  • Social:
    Board members who had attended the neighborhood’s Easter Egg Hunt last month provided a glowing report on how well it had gone.  Attendance was somewhat smaller than last year, but those who did attend appeared to immensely enjoy the event.  The board congratulated Kayla for doing such a fine job organizing the hunt.

    The upcoming General Membership Meeting, scheduled for April 10th, from 4-7 PM was discussed and plans for the event were reviewed.   It will be held at Los Tres Cubanos.

  • Beautification:
    Clean up day is scheduled for Friday, April 8th, starting at 6:30 PM, with the rain date to take place on April 9th.

    Mulch day is scheduled for May 7th at 8 am.

  • Codes:
    Some members of the board raised the issue of new signs erected by Premier Eye Care.  They are concerned that these signs were not reviewed and approved by HARB.   After some discussion of the matter, the board concluded that it was important for HARB’s review procedure to remain consistent.  It was decided to notify HARB about the sign change in order that the regular review procedure be followed.

    Some members also raised the issue of Premier Eye Care’s new trash container storage area, which is behind a line of shrubs on Front Street.  Mary Beth Follett said that she would contact the city agency in charge of trash removal to make sure that Premier Eye Care’s location is compliant with the city’s rules.

    A number of board members raised concerns about JR’s Auto and Tire Service, on Vine Street.  The concerns center on the garage’s practice of having its work spill out onto the sidewalk, with piles of car parts impeding pedestrian passage, and the company’s frequent failure to bag its trash.

  • Fundraising:
    Eillie Martindale reported on preparations for the Flea Market, which is now  scheduled for July 9th;  she will be having an organizational meeting next Monday, April 11th to work out particular tasks and subcommittees for planning the event.   She has acquired all of the requisite permits and the insurance.

    There was discussion at this point on the question of why the Shipoke Neighborhood Association is not a formal non-profit corporation.   It was decided to ask board member Mike O’Donnell for his insight as to the issues that would be involved in having the board become a non-profit.

    There was discussion about acquiring a SAMS Club card for the association, since it would help with buying supplies for events such as the Flea Market.

7. Old Business:

  • The board discussed the planned home tour in the neighborhood being undertaken by the Harrisburg Young Professionals (HYP).    The tour is planned for May 21st.  One point of discussion was whether or not the plans for the tour still include the use of food trucks parked on Shower Street.

8. New Business

  • Geoffrey Knight of the city’s Bureau of Planning Mention has contacted Mary Beth Follett about a potential  neighborhood tour by an expert on flood mitigation who  will be in the area sometime in the future.  The board expressed great interest having such a tour scheduled.
  • A proposal for the board to purchase two Doggie Clean Up Stations that would be placed in the Race Street Park was discussed.  The board voted to approve spending $400 for these stations.
  • Kathy Dunbar and Rod Kautz presented plans for the upcoming Art in the Park event.   Jose Manjon offered to donate gift certificates to serve as prizes for the winners of the decorative pots contest.

9. Date and Location of next meeting – Monday, May 2nd at 7 pm.   At the home of Rod Kautz

10. Adjournment – The meeting adjourned at 8:30 pm

by brian

March 2016 Meeting Minutes

November 6, 2016 in Meeting Minutes by brian

Shipoke Neighborhood Association Minutes
March 7, 2016

1. Call to order
2. Present:  David Witwer, Christ Altman, Kathy Dunbar, Ellie Martindale, Betsey Dorbian, Betty MacLaughlin, Kayla Thornton, Sebastian Schrank.  Mary Beth Follett, Brian Moore, Mary Beth Follett, Jose Manjon, Mike O’Donnell, Chris Stoudt, Rod Kautz
– Bob Haigh and Gene Gangwish were excused

3. The minutes of the February meeting were approved.
4. Rod Kautz was approved as a new member of the board.

5. Treasurer’s Report:   Bank Statement Balance as of 1/31/16
BEGINNING BALANCE            $7915.62
INCOME                    $50 contribution
EXPENSES                      none
ENDING BALANCE 2/15/16            $ 7965.62

6. Committee Reports:

  • Communications:
    Notices have been posted around the neighborhood for the upcoming Easter Egg Hunt, which is scheduled for March 19th at 11 am.
  • Social:
    Joanne Kaldy had planned to attend the meeting to discuss Ground Hog Day, but she was unable to make it.  In her absence, the board discussed the Ground Hog Day festivities, concluding that it was a well-attended and much enjoyed success.

    Kayla Thornton reviewed her preparations for this year’s Easter Egg hunt in the Kiddie Park.

    The General Meeting is scheduled for April 3rd, from 4 to 7 pm in the ground floor of Los Tres Cubanos restaurant.  Jose Manjon  agreed to open up the ground floor of his restaurant for the meeting, which will be a pot luck affair as usual, and will also be BYOB.

  • Beautification:
    The current plan is to have clean up day on Friday, April 8th, starting at 6:30 PM, with the rain date to take place on April 9th.  Rod Kautz and David Witwer agreed to chip in for a case of beer for a post clean up gathering that will provide both a chance to socialize and a moderate reward for clean up participants.

    The board discussed plans for new/replacement plantings for the Race Street park.  Kathy Dunbar is waiting to hear back from the plant supplier she is working with, Highland Gardens.   Jose Manjon described his tentative plans for plantings in the area of his restaurant.  He also announced that he is donating money for a replacement tree near his restaurant and to replace a tree that has to be taken down in the River Park along Front Street.

    An ad hoc subcommittee has been formed to oversee the various issues involving planting and fundraising for the Race Street Park and the area along the outside of the Kiddie Park on Conoy Street.  The subcommittee includes:  Gene Gangwish, Kathy Dunbar, Jose Manjon, and Chris Stoudt.

  • Codes:
    The board discussed various pothole situations in the neighborhood and Mary Beth Follett indicated she was in communication with the city authorities about these issues.

    There was  discussion about the prevalence of dog poop that has not been picked up by dog owners in the neighborhood.   Residents were encouraged to remind dog owners who they see failing to pick up their dog poop to act responsibly.   Although failing to pick up dog poop is a ticketable offense, the board members agreed that peer pressure is often the most effective way to address this situation, letting the dog owners in question know that their neighbors are aware of their actions and that those actions negatively impact the community.

  • Fundraising:
    Eillie Martindale reported on preparations for the Flea Market, which is now  scheduled for July 11th, from  7 am to 2 pm.   She has acquired insurance for the event, although she notes the cost of that insurance has gone up $20.  She has also acquired the needed permits from the city Parks Department.   She is forming a subcommittee to help her set up for the event and plans on scheduling a meeting of this subcommittee in the not too distant future.

    There was discussion of the letter that the board has prepared for raising money to fund the new/replacement plantings in the Race Street Park.   Various ideas were discussed in this regard, including waiting to send this letter until Kathy Dunbar hears back from the plant supplier about the specific prices for particular trees and plantings.  The idea proposed was that donations could be solicited for specific plantings/trees;  or that the letter could state a set of specific fundraising goals tied directly to these plantings.

    Other ideas that grew out of this discussion had to do with proposals to increase the community’s use of the Race Street park, perhaps by installing a picnic table, or community library box, or perhaps by scheduling events such as dance lessons.

7. Old Business:

  • The board discussed the planned home tour in the neighborhood being undertaken by the Harrisburg Young Professionals (HYP).    Some board members recalled that the HYP had made a significant donation to the neighborhood the last time this tour was held, which had occurred after the flood.   No such donation has been planned this time around.   But the board was reminded that HYP stages these events to raise money for a fund which provides $1,000 for persons buying a home in the city of Harrisburg.    Other details of this planned event were also discussed, including the fact that HYP is proposing to have food trucks parked along Shower Street to provide food and refreshments during the event.
  • The board discussed the recent flood mitigation informational meeting that was recently held.   The meeting was well attended and board members reviewed the various proposals that were discussed at that meeting, including the erection of a flood wall, the deepening of Paxton Creek’s channel, a flood barrier to block Paxton Creek, and changes to the storm sewer system.

8. New Business:  No new business was presented

9. Date and Location of next meeting – April  4th at 7 pm. At the home of Ellie Martindale

10. Adjournment – The meeting adjourned at 8:30 pm

by brian

January 2016 Meeting Minutes

November 6, 2016 in Meeting Minutes by brian

Shipoke Neighborhood Association Minutes
January 4, 2016

1. Call to order
2. Present:  David Witwer, Kathy Dunbar, Ellie Martindale, Betty MacLaughlin,  Kayla Thornton,   Mary Beth Follett, Brian Moore, Jose Manjon, Chris Stoudt
–Betsey Dorbian, Gene Gangwish, Sebastian Schrank, and Bob Haigh were excused.

3. The minutes of the December 7, 2015 meeting were approved.

4. Treasurer’s Report:   No activity has occurred since the last meeting and so the balance remains the same.   The board also again discussed the need to update the signatories for the association’s bank account.

5. Committee Reports:

  • Communications:
    Brigette Plummer has resigned from the board and so Mary Beth Follett and Brian Moore will now step in to take over the duty of producing the neighborhood newsletter.   Jose Manjon was chosen to replace Plummer as the association’s Vice President, with the understanding that the board’s officers will be formally approved at the next general meeting.
  • Crime:
    There were reports of two car break-ins since the last meeting.  In both cases the cars had been left unlocked and the board wished to remind residents that thieves are apparently scanning the neighborhood for such targets of opportunity.
  • Beautification:
    The board urged residents to consult the recent notification sent out by the city regarding brush and leaf hauling procedures.

    Kathy Dunbar discussed the need to consider plantings for the Race Street Park that will go in those areas that were thinned out in the fall.  Chris Stoudt suggested that new plantings also be considered for the Canoy Street border of the Kiddie Park.   It was decided that Dunbar, Stoudt and other interested board members would consult to consider what plants might go in to these areas.  Jose Manjon said that he is interested in participating in these discussions and might potentially contribute funds for efforts that involve the areas of Race and Canoy Streets which border his restaurant.

  • Social:
    Jose Manjon offered the use of the second floor of his restaurant for the March general meeting of the association.   The space is suitable for up to 60 people to use, although it will not be ready until later in March and so the board decided to schedule the meeting accordingly.    He also offered to provide some appetizers to supplement the meeting’s usual pot luck entries.

    Chris Stoudt volunteered to serve as Chair of the association’s social activities.

    Mary Beth reported the JoAnn Kaldy had offered to put together another Ground Hog Day celebration, if members of the board were interested in having one this year.  The board felt that this would be a good thing and voted to approve JoAnn as chair of a committee to organize the event, with several members offering to help out.

    Kathy Dunbar agreed to chair a subcommittee that would organize another Art in the Park celebration this year.   She said that she would formulate tentative plans for the event in order to present them at the next meeting.

  • Fund Raising:
    Ellie Martindale said that she has assembled all of the necessary paperwork from the city to begin the preliminary preparations for the annual flea market.   The tentative date for the market is July 9th.    She is holding off filing that paperwork, however, while she waits to see for certain when  the Pump Primers will be holding their event.   The flea market is usually timed to coincide with the historic fire engine celebration.   Ellie asked that board members and others who were interested in serving on a Flea Market’s organizing committee email her with times when they would be available to meet.

    Mary Beth said that she had received a draft of the fundraising letter that Bob Haigh and Kathy Dunbar had drafted to help raise contributions for the work in the Race Street Park.

6. Old Business:

  • The board discussed the problem of lights in the Kiddie Park, including one that appears to be broken.
  • Jose Manjon provided an update on the improvements being implemented at the restaurant and his efforts to have these changes approved by the various city boards.
  • Mary Beth is working on the letter that the association sends out to new neighborhood residents.

7. New Business:

  • The Comprehensive Plan being considered for Harrisburg will include a component on flood control.  Mary Beth is working to set up a neighborhood association meeting that will include a representative from the Plan to talk with residents about its implications.  Glen Dunbar will run that meeting.  The date and location of this meeting are yet to be determined.

8. Date and Location of next meeting – February 1st  at 7 pm. At the home of Kathy Dunbar.
9. Adjournment – The meeting adjourned at 8:05 pm

by brian

February 2016 Meeting Minutes

November 6, 2016 in Meeting Minutes by brian

Shipoke Neighborhood Association Minutes
February 1, 2016

1. Call to order
2. Present:  David Witwer, Kathy Dunbar, Ellie Martindale, Betty MacLaughlin,  Kayla Thornton,   Mary Beth Follett, Brian Moore, Jose Manjon, Chris Stoudt, Betsy Dorbian, Sebastian Schrank, Bob Haigh.   Joann Kaldy was present as a guest.
–Gene Gangwish was excused.

3. The minutes of the January 4, 2015 meeting were approved.

4. Treasurer’s Report:   No activity has occurred since the last meeting and so the balance remains the same.   The board also again discussed the need to update the signatories for the association’s bank account.  Also, the board discussed the change resulting from 1st National Bank’s purchase of Metro Bank.

Statement account balance as of 12/31/2015:   $7,915.62

5. Committee Reports:

  • Communications:
    There has been more Facebook activity in response to the upcoming Groundhog Day event.  Mary Beth is in the process of producing the newsletter and will be working with Brian to have it posted.
  • Crime:
    Megan’s Law fliers were distributed by the police along 2nd Street, notifying residents there of the presence of a sex offender residing in their area of Shipoke.
  • Beautification:
    The board reviewed and approved the fundraising letter that is seeking donations for improvements to the Race Street Park.    Plans were made to have the letter distributed.
  • Social:
    Plans for Groundhog Day event were discussed.  The board approved a $200 budget.The date for Neighborhood Association’s next general meeting was set for April 3rd.  At an earlier meeting the board had discussed having that meeting at Los Tres Cubanos, but Jose explained that because of issues involved with the renovation project of the building’s second floor, it might be necessary to find an alternate location.  The board discussed the possibility of turning to the John Harris Mansion, a venue that has been used for previous meetings.

    Kayla agreed to be in charge of this year’s Easter Egg hunt in the park and the board approved a $150 budget for the event.

  • Fund Raising:
    Ellie Martindale reviewed the tentative schedule for the flea market which will probably be on July 9th.   She is continuing to wait to see when the Pump Primers will be holding their event.   The flea market is usually timed to coincide with the historic fire engine celebration.

6. Old Business:

  • The board discussed the problem of lights in the Kiddie Park, including one that appears to be broken.
  • Jose Manjon provided an update on the improvements being implemented at the restaurant and his efforts to have these changes approved by the various city boards.
  • There is an apparently abandoned vehicle on Tuscarora Street, a white van
  • There is a big pot hole on Race Street at Tuscarora and the city will be notified.

7. New Business:

  • The Comprehensive Plan being considered for Harrisburg will include a component on flood control.   There will be a meeting with a representative from the plan on February 18th, at 7 PM, at the Passage to India’s meeting room.  Glen Dunbar will be presiding.
  • The group the Harrisburg Young Professionals is planning on having a house tour in Shipoke on May 21st.  The board discussed the association’s participation in helping with this event and the contribution that the HYP made to the association the last time the event occurred here.

Date and Location of next meeting – March 7  at 7 pm, at the home of Mary Beth Follett.

8. Adjournment – The meeting adjourned at 8:05 pm

by brian

December 2015 Meeting Minutes

November 6, 2016 in Meeting Minutes by brian

Shipoke Neighborhood Association Minutes
December 7, 2015

1. Call to order
2. Present:  David Witwer, Brigette Plummer, Christ Altman, Kathy Dunbar, Ellie Martindale, Betsey Dorbian, Betty MacLaughlin, Gene Gangwish, Kayla Thornton, Sebastian Schrank.  Mary Beth Follett, Carol Gangwish
–Brian Moore and Bob Haigh were excused.

3. Approval of the November meeting minutes was postponed till the next meeting.   Mary Beth explained that she wanted some more time to review and prepare them.

4. Treasurer’s Report:
BEGINNING BALANCE            $7934.90
INCOME                   500    (Los Tres Cubanos)
EXPENSES                   500.00 (Mathew Sinkkovitz Band)
19.28      (Gateway: fee for Paypal account)
ENDING BALANCE            $ 7915.62

The board also discussed the need to update the signatories for the association’s bank account.

5. Committee Reports:

  • Communications:
    There has been a steady traffic on the Shipoke Facebook account, with the number of “likes” up by 8%.    Many people posted photos from the recent Fall Festival and Chili Cook Off and these photos were popular.

    Chris Altman and Brigette Plummer proposed a Twitter holiday photo contest as a way to increase traffic on the neighborhood’s Twitter account.  The contest would run from December 15th to December 31st.   Participants could tweet in photos of neighborhood holiday decorations at:  @ShipokeHBG #Merry Shipoke  or photos of decorated holiday trees from the neighborhood at:   @ShipokeHBG #Merry Shipoke.     The photo with the most FAVORITES on January 1st will be  awarded Shipoke’s TOP TWEET prize.

    David Witwer volunteered to try out the instructions to see if they were accessible to non-TWEETERs

  • Crime:
    There were no reports of crime in the neighborhood.  The board discussed the need to remind residents to be careful to lock their car doors and to keep an eye out for neighbors who have had holiday packages left on their door steps, as these packages can sometimes be stolen.
  • Beautification:
    The board discussed that brush gathered during previous clean ups has not yet been picked up by the city.  Leaf bags are expected to be picked up during the street cleaning days this week.  Mary Beth indicated that she would talk with someone from the city administration if the brush piles continue to not be picked up.
  • Social:
    The board discussed the need to put together an overall year-long calendar of events in order to conduct effective planning and scheduling.   Board members should submit suggestions for events that they think should be held and for which they are willing to take a leadership role.   These proposals should be accompanied by a tentative budget and date for the proposed event.    In the process of doing this planning, the board should consider if it wants to continue relatively new events such as:  Groundhog Day and Art in the Park.

    Ellie Martindale said that she has begun to receive the relevant paperwork from the city to begin the preliminary preparations for the annual flea market.   The tentative date for this event is July 9th, although she has not yet heard for certain when the Pump Primers will be holding their event and the flea market is usually timed to coincide with the historic fire engine celebration.    The board discussed the need for a board member to work with closely with Ellie this year as she sets up the flea market, in order to be prepared to take over the task next year.  Kayla Thornton has volunteered to do this.

    The board discussed the need to explore possible venues and entertainments for the neighborhood’s annual meeting in March.   For the last couple of years the meetings have been held at the John Harris Mansion, but the board also discussed exploring the possibility of another location, such as the Passage to India’s community room.

  • Fund Raising:
    Kathy Dunbar updated the board on the fundraising letter that she and Bob Haigh are drafting to raise money for the Race Street Park improvements.

6. Old Business:

  • The board discussed the improved lighting in the neighborhood that has resulted from the city’s installation of LED bulbs in the streetlights.  However, this switch has not yet occurred in northern part of the neighborhood.  Residents there discussed problems caused by a light out on River Street and the fact that it has not been fixed despite that fact that residents have reported it to the city.  Mary Beth indicated that she would make a phone call to city about it as well.
  • Mary Beth will forward to the board members updates on the meetings planned by the group Harrisburg Thriving Together.  Board members can then decide if they want to attend these meetings.
  • Changes planned for the restaurant Les Tres Cubanos have been the subject of review at a recent meeting held by the Liquor Control Board.   Also HARB will be considering the restaurant’s plan to add a fire escape, which is required for the restaurant  to use the 2nd floor of the building for additional seating.   With the board’s approval, Mary Beth submitted a letter of support for this change on behalf of the association.   If HARB approves, the restaurant’s next step will be to seek approval from the Zoning Board.
  • Mary Beth and Ellie updated the board on the draft status of the letter that the neighborhood association sends to welcome new residents.

7. New Business:  No new business was presented
8. Date and Location of next meeting – January 4th at 7 pm. At the home of Kayla Thornton
9. Adjournment – The meeting adjourned at 8:30 pm