by brian

October 2015 Meeting Minutes

November 17, 2015 in Meeting Minutes by brian

Shipoke Neighborhood Association Minutes
October 6, 2015

  • Call to Order
  • Members Present:  Dave Witwer, Betsey Dorbian, Bridgette Plummer, Betty MacClaughlin, Gene Gangwish, Ellie Martindale, Brian Moore, Kathy Dunbar,
    Eileen Vilardi
  • Introduction of Guests: Dr. Jose Manjon
  • Approval of August 3, 2015 and September 8, 2015 minutes: Minutes for both months were approved as written.
  • Treasurers Report.
    BEGINNING BALANCE                                    $8434.90
    EXPENSES                                                       500.00 (Unique Landscaping)
    ENDING BALANCE                                           7934.90
  • Committee Reports
    • Communications
      Facebook will be utilized to showcase neighbors.  Please send interesting activities/jobs/travels/etc. of neighbors to Joanne Kaldy.
    • Crime
      Incident on 600 block of Showers Street.  A police report was filed.  Mary Beth Follett will work with the community Police Liaison to address this complaint and the issue of reported firing of weapons in the city limits.
      There was another report of stolen packages from front steps.  UPS and Fed Ex have methods online to request that packages be left on the side or rear of properties.  USPS does not.  When there is a substitute delivery person that is when a problem occurs.
    • Beautification
      Race Street Park, Tree Removal Riverfront Park – Kathy Dunbar presented an update on the renovation of the Race Street Park.  Unique Landscaping has completed the work for fall.  It was decided that fundraising efforts will proceed, and work will continue in the spring.
      Fall Clean up – Gene Gangwish will lead the clean up on October 10th at 8 am.  A plan of action was discussed.
    • Social
      Feedback:  General Meeting and Picnic, Sunday, September 13, 2015 – The suggestion was made to separate the business meeting from the social function.
    • Fundraising
      Plan for Race Street Park Funding-Revisions will be made for the letter that will be distributed to neighbors.  A final draft will be sent to the board members to approve.
    • Lend A Hand – No issues to discuss.
  • Old Business
    • Trash Can update- The last spreadsheet will be sent in this week.  After that, neighbors will be provided the email and phone contact for the city employee who will assist them.
    • Codes Complaints- An empty property on Conoy Street has been cleaned up on the exterior.  The owner was happy to comply with the request to clean up when he realized the weeds were 10 ft. tall.
    • Street lights LED light installation in City of Harrisburg- news will be provided to neighbors when the roll out of lighting replacement begins.
    • Harrisburg Thriving Together update- Nothing new to report.
    • Harrisburg Comprehensive Plan update- Nothing new to report.
    • Officers and new board members: Bridget Plummer, Sebastian Schrank, Chris Stoudt, Kayla Thornton, Mike O’Donnell
  • Los Tres Cubanos expansion of liquor license – Dr. Jose Manjon spoke to the board regarding his request now at the PA LCB to expand his liquor license to include outdoor seating.  He explained that he is very conscientious regarding patrons who smoke in front of the restaurant.  He has set up a sand ashtray on the side of the building for smokers.  All smokers are asked to go to the side of the building.  Also, the city of Harrisburg has approved his plan for outdoor seating.  He has placed outdoor tables and chairs on the side of the building.  The placement is respective of the public right of way of 36” from the curb.
    The board discussed his presentation and the presentation last month from concerned residents.Dr. Manjon and his manager have been receptive to the concerns of neighbors.  His business plan does not include service of liquor from 7 am to 2 am.  The posted hours of operation are the only hours when liquor will be served.  The restaurant has had a positive impact on the neighborhood.  It is a thriving business that fills a property which sat vacant for 4 years.  It has brought foot traffic to Shipoke, as well as a positive impact on the value of rentals and for sale properties.

    After discussion, the board members present voted to support the expansion of the liquor license to include outdoor seating.

  • Los Tres Cubanos HARB presentation and permit application for signs – HARB voted unanimously to approve the application without restrictions.  However, it is likely that a zoning hearing will take place on the signage.  Several neighbors spoke in support of the restaurant.  Mary Beth Follett, President spoke in support of the signage.
  • Premier Eye HARB presentation and permit application for garbage enclosure – Premier will not locate the trash enclosure next to the parking area.  Plans are being made to place the enclosure next to the building.

 

  • New Business
    • Fall Festival and Chili Cook off – Bridgette Plummer presented the plan for the event to take place on November 1st.  The paperwork is in process to get a block party permit to close the 500 block of Showers.  A budget of $ 500 was presented to the board and approved.   The budget covers music, kid events, set ups for food, etc.  A committee has already been established to plan and execute the event.  (Dave Wagner, Bridgette Plummer, Sebastian and Sara Schrank, Mary Beth Follett)
  • Date and Location of next meeting – November 2, 2015 at 7 pm. At the home of Dave Witwer
  • Adjournment – The meeting adjourned at 8:30 pm
by brian

September 2015 Meeting Minutes

October 13, 2015 in Meeting Minutes by brian

Shipoke Neighborhood Association
Minutes of Board of Directors Meeting
September 8, 2015 7:00 P.M.

  • Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by President Mary Beth Follett at 7:00 p.m.
    Members Present: Bob Haigh, Mary Beth Follett, Gene Gangwish, Betty MacLaughlin, Kathy Marley-Dunbar, Ellie Martindale, Brian Moore, Eileen Vilardi, Dave Witwer. Marie Iaria
  • Minutes: Approval of the minutes was tabled until the next meeting.
  • Treasurer’s Report: Written and verbal reports were approved.
    Beginning Balance as of 7/30/15: $8934.90
    Income: 0.00
    Expenses(band – National Night Out) 500.00
    Ending Balance as of 7/31/15: $8434.90

Guest Presentation

Michele Fox and Laurel Fisher presented their concerns regarding the expansion of the liquor license by Los Tres Cubanos to include service to outdoor seating at the front and side exterior of the restaurant.
The issues they addressed are:

  • Noise issues with outdoor patrons
  • Smoking in front of the building would be a quality of life issue for nearby residents.
  • Blocking the public access right of way for residents wanting to use the sidewalk.
  • Concern that liquor could be served outside from 7 am – 2 am.
  • Concern that the liquor rules that are approved would pass to a new owner. Once the LCB approves the rules for this properties, it is not reversible.
  • Residents who live within 500 ft. of the restaurant can write a letter of protest to the LCB by 9/20/2105.

Discussion by board:

  • It is the position of the board that individual residents express their personal opinion to the LCB, and that the SNA Board would not take a position on the matter.
  • It was encouraged that letters of support and dissent be sent by individual residents by 9/20/2015.

Committee Reports

  • Communications
    • Visits to the Facebook account has increased. There were over 150 views and 10 comments.
  • Crime
    • There was an open safe and vandalism in the Riverfront Park. All of the concrete benches were overturned.
    • Residents are leaving cars unlocked and valuables have been stolen from unlocked cars.
  • Beautification
    • Kathy Dunbar made a motion to budget $500 for a private contractor to perform maintenance on the Race Street landscaping. She led inspections of this park to explain to board members the need for maintenance. She determined which landscaper to hire after conversations with several contractors about the work that needed to be performed. The work will commence prior to the next board meeting. The initial work will be followed by more maintenance to be performed in the spring.
    • In order to fund this maintenance, it was agreed that the SNA will commence a fund raising campaign. When the park was renovated in 2001, over $4000 was raised for new plantings and labor. Bob Haigh will write a fundraising letter to get the project up and running.
    • Fall Clean Up is scheduled for 10/10 from 8am-10 am. The rain date is 10/17.
  • Social
    • The Summer Cook Out and General Membership Meeting be combined events and will be scheduled for Sunday, September 13 from 4:00 to 7:00 pm. Dave Witwer will set up the tables and preparations for the party. Mary Beth Follett will grill the chicken at her home and bring to the party.
  • Fundraising
    • The board approved the initial plan for a fundraising campaign to raise fund for the Race Street Park maintenance and replacement of dead or overgrown plants. The park design and planting occurred in 2001 after a Shipoke fundraising campaign. Fifteen years later, it is overdue to perform maintenance and replace some of the plants.
    • Lend-A-Hand: Discussion occurred regarding several ill neighbors who may need assistance.

Old Business

  • Trash Cans – Another flyer will go out to capture any missed residents on the delivery of the new trash and recycle cans.
  • Codes Complaints – There was discussion regarding a property on Race Street with a sidewalk in need of replacement. It was decided that we could not single out one property. There are a number of properties with sidewalk issues.
  • Harrisburg Comprehensive Plan Meetings – Ellie Martindale volunteered to attend future meetings to represent Shipoke.
  • New officer and board members – A flyer will go out to residents. New board members will be announced at the next meeting.

New Business

  • Los Tres Cubanos will present before HARB for approval of their signs. Mary Beth Follett will attend this meeting and report back to the SNA Board. Other residents are encouraged to attend and to provide their input to HARB. Meeting date: September 14, 2015.
  • Premier Eye will present a proposal for building a trash enclosure on October 5, 2015. Mary Beth Follett will attend and report back to the SNA Board.

Next Meeting:
Tuesday, 7 pm October 6, 2015 at the home of Ellie Martindale.
Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 8:15 p.m.

by brian

August 2015 Meeting Minutes

October 13, 2015 in Meeting Minutes by brian

Shipoke Neighborhood Association
Minutes of Board of Directors Meeting
August 3, 2015 7:00 P.M.

  • Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by President Mary Beth Follett at 7:00 p.m.
    Members Present: Bob Haigh, Mary Beth Follett, Gene Gangwish, Joanne Kaldy, Betty MacLaughlin, Kathy Marley-Dunbar, Ellie Martindale, Brian Moore, Eileen Vilardi, Dave Witwer.
  • Minutes: The minutes from the July 2015 meeting were approved. A copy of the approved minutes will be sent to Dave Botero, Community Police Liaison with the City of Harrisburg and also to Brian Moore to place on the Shipoke website.
  • Treasurer’s Report: Written and verbal reports were approved.
    Beginning Balance as of 6/30/15: $6579.52
    Income: 3407.70
    Expenses 897.92
    Ending Balance as of 7/31/15: $8934.90

Committee Reports

  • Communications:
    • Visits to the Facebook account has increased. There were over 150 views and 10 comments.
  • Crime
    • There was a conversation on Next Door Shipoke regarding vandalism all the way along S. Front St. There perpetrator was a highly intoxicated male. Residents should keep an eye out for this type of activity and REPORT it to police.
  • Beautification
    • Mary Beth noted she has heard nothing from the City Parks & Recreation Department regarding grant money for replacing the fence around the Conoy Street Playground. She will follow up.
    • Kathy Dunbar made a motion to budget $500 for a private contractor to perform maintenance on the Race Street landscaping. She will make an inspection of this park and report back to the board at the next meeting. Several contractors will be contacted for bids.
    • The city arborist inspected the young tree in the Riverfront Park. He reported that it is stressed, but he would like to leave it in place for now. Kathy Dunbar reported that she has treated the tree for disease, and it appears to be doing better.
    • The Rain Barrel Coalition/Jean Cutler will present in Shipoke at 7 pm on August 12th.
  • Social
    • National Night Out is Tuesday, August 4. “HIP POCKET” has been hired for the entertainment.
    • The Summer Cook Out and General Membership Meeting be combined events and will be scheduled for Sunday, September 13 from 4:00 to 7:00, with a rain date of Sunday, September 20. Chicken will be provided by the SNA Board. It will be potluck for the Neighbors who attend this function.
  • Fundraising
    • Ellie updated the members on income and expenses. The Treasurers Report reflects the the net revenue. There was a discussion of best practices for changes to next year’s flea market.
    • Lend-A-Hand: Bob Haigh will provide board members with the contact information of a handyman who may be able to help with property maintenance for those in need.

Old Business

  • Los Tres Cubanos has had difficulty with the city getting the trash pickup schedule on track. They seem to be missing the second scheduled pick up, which has resulted in an overflow situation in their garbage enclosure.
  • Mary Beth will update the Welcome Letter and Eileen will pass them out to new residents and include a personal note. A draft of the letter was sent to Joanne Kaldy for editing.

New Business

  • Codes Issues: A property on Front Street has been cleared of weeds. Mary Beth Follett asked the residents to clean up, and it was done a few days later. No code complaint was necessary.
  • It is the time of the year to nominate new board members and officers. This process will take place over the next few weeks.

Next Meeting: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at the home of Bob Haigh.
Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 8:15 p.m.

by brian

July 2015 Meeting Minutes

October 13, 2015 in Meeting Minutes by brian

Shipoke Neighborhood Association
Minutes of Board of Directors Meeting
July 6, 2015, 7:00 P.M.

  • Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by President Mary Beth Follett at 7:00 p.m.
    Members Present: Betsy Dorbian, Mary Beth Follett, Gene Gangwish, Joanne Kaldy, Betty MacLaughlin, Shirley Marks, Kathy Marley-Dunbar, Ellie Martindale, Brian Moore, Eileen Vilardi, Dave Witwer and Betty Wolf.
    It was moved that Eileen Vilardi become a member of the Board until an official election can be held. The motion approved as presented.
  • Minutes: The minutes from the June 8, 2015 meeting were approved. A copy of the approved minutes will be sent to Dave Botero, Community Police Liaison with the City of Harrisburg and also to Brian Moore to place on the Shipoke website.
  • Treasurer’s Report: Written and verbal reports were approved.
    Beginning Balance as of 5/31/15: $6381.42
    Income: 450.00
    Expenses 347.50
    Ending Balance as of 6/30/15: $6483.92

Committee Reports

  • Communications
    • Joanne reported she has been posting on Facebook and Twitter and has included current and upcoming events such as new trash can and recycle bin deliveries in Shipoke, July 4 fireworks, Los Tres Cubanos soft opening for Shipoke residents and daily updates on the upcoming Shipoke Flea Market.
  • Crime
    • Mary Beth reported two cars were recently broken into on Race Street and one on Front Street. It was noted that residents should be reminded to lock their car doors and not to leave personal property visible in the car.
  • Beautification
    • Mary Beth noted she has heard nothing from the City Parks & Recreation Department regarding grant money for replacing the fence around the Conoy Street Playground. She will follow up.
    • Regarding the large blue spruce in Hanna Street Park, Mary Beth reported the new City Arborist inspected the tree, found it was healthy, and recommended it not be removed.
    • It was reported there is a diseased tree on Front Street. Mary Beth will ask the City Arborist for his opinion on its care.
    • Shirley presented an email regarding a grant received by the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation entitled “Greening the Lower Susquehanna.” Through this grant Penn State will provide free trees to landowners interested in planting riparian buffers or converting turf-to-trees. She will send a copy of the email to each Board member.
  • Social
    • After discussion, it was agreed to table Shipoke Night at the Senators until spring.
    • National Night Out is Tuesday, August 4 and it was determined that we should hold “Music in the Park” that evening. Glen Dunbar will contact the “Hip Pockets” and Brian will get information on another entertainer. A budget will be determined at the August Board meeting.
    • It was agreed that the Summer Cook Out and General Membership Meeting be combined events and will be scheduled for Sunday, September 13 from 4:00 to 7:00, with a rain date of Sunday, September 20. A budget will be determined at the August Board meeting.
  • Fundraising
    • Ellie updated the members on plans for the Shipoke Flea Market to be held on July 11 from 7:00 to 2:00. She has received $400 from table spaces and additional donations. She noted all committees are functioning, the weather report is good and she looks forward to a very successful event.
    • It was agreed to purchase a canopy tent to use for the flea market and other neighborhood events. Mary Beth will make the purchase.
    • Lend-A-Hand: Mary Beth suggested we form a Lend-A-Hand Committee to aid those in the neighborhood who need help with such things as moving trash and recycle cans, food shopping, gardening, etc.
    • She also suggested we have a food drive at the Summer Cook Out.
    • There was also discussion about adopting a family during the holidays to provide gifts and other help.

Old Business

  • Mary Beth noted that potholes are being repaired and the City is now going down their list as they receive requests.
  • It was reported that Los Tres Cubanos is planning a soft opening for Shipoke residents on Wednesday, July 8 from 6:00 to 8:00.
  • Mary Beth will update the Welcome Letter and Eileen will pass them out to new residents and include a personal note. Eileen requested that Board members provide her with names and address.
  • Mary Beth reported that there are several properties in Upper Shipoke that have code violations. She will personally contact each owner.

New Business

  • Regarding the City Trash and Recycling Program, Mary Beth will prepare a list for the City of those residents who prefer to have smaller trash containers. In the meantime, they will use their own trash cans.
  • It was suggested and agreed to request a glass recycling drop off container for the neighborhood to be placed in the parking lot next to the pumping station. Mary Beth will contact the City and make the request.
  • Jean Cutler will be contacted to give her presentation about the Rain Barrel Program to the neighborhood on August 10 or 12. The announcement will be made at National Night Out on August 4. She has been meeting with community organization to educate interested residents on this issue.
  • Joanne gave an update of the recent Harrisburg Thriving Together meeting. She will provide contact information to Board members.
  • Shirley provided an update of the Harrisburg Comprehensive Plan meeting she recently attended.

Next Meeting: Monday, August 3 at the home of Joanne Kaldy.
Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 8:20 p.m.

Shirley Marks
Secretary

by brian

June 2015 Meeting Minutes

July 20, 2015 in Meeting Minutes by brian

Shipoke Neighborhood Association
Minutes of Board of Directors Meeting
June 8, 2015 7:00 P.M.

Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Co-President Mary Beth Follett at 7:00 p.m.

Members Present: Betsy Dorbian, Mary Beth Follett, Gene Gangwish, Marie Iaria, Joanne Kaldy, Betty MacLaughlin, Kathy Marley-Dunbar, Shirley Marks, Ellie Martindale, Melanie Mulkey and Dave Witwer . Neighborhood resident Mike O’Donnell was present as an invited guest.

Minutes: The minutes from the May 4, 2015 meeting were approved. A copy of the approved minutes will be sent to Dave Botero, Community Police Liaison with the City of Harrisburg.

Treasurer’s Report: Written and verbal reports were approved.

Beginning Balance as of 3/31/15: $7261.04
Income: 30.00
Expenses 939.02
Ending Balance as of 4/30/15: $6352.02

Committee Reports

Communications:

  • Joanne reported that we’re doing well on Facebook and receiving 25 to 100 hits per posting. She has been posting on Facebook and Twitter and has included upcoming events such as Art in the Park. She thanked everyone for their contributions and encouraged them to continue posting on our social media accounts.
  • Mary Beth noted that the City is using the social media Next Door to report crime activity, flood information, classified ads, meeting notices, etc. and encouraged members to sign up.
  • Ellie will prepare the monthly email newsletter and include information on Art in the Park, the Shipoke Flea Market, the City’s new recycling program, and an invitation for residents to attend SNA board meetings.

Crime:

  • Melanie reported a window broken at Los Tres Cubanos. Two days later the owners received money to replace the window and an apology note.

Beautification:

  • Mary Beth will stay in touch with the City Parks & Recreation Department regarding grant money for replacing the fence around the Conoy Street Playground.
  • She also noted that the playground equipment is rusting and needs to be repainted.
  • An email was received from James Spatz, Urban Planner/Zoning Officer for the City of Harrisburg, regarding a city-wide plan for trash cleanup. Shirley provided him with the information he requested regarding Shipoke boundaries.
  • There was discussion about the removal of a large blue spruce in Hanna Street Park and perhaps donating it to Central Pennsylvania Hospice for their Tree of Life at Christmas. Mary Beth will contact the City arborist for his opinion of the tree.

Social:

  • Kathy provided an update for the Art in the Park event scheduled for Sunday, June 14 from 10:00 to 4:00. She noted that all plans are in place. Joanne will continue with PR on Facebook and Twitter and added that she delivered a plant and announcement to the Mayor’s Office. Each board member was asked to provide food or a cash donation for the reception at the Dunbar home after the event. She noted this reception has been developed as a way to thank the Master Gardeners, artists, pot decorating participants and event volunteers.
  • Shipoke Night at the Senators will tentatively be held in August and Melanie will recommend dates at the next meeting. After discussion, it was agreed that attendees would purchase tickets and buy their own food.
  • Joanne will recommend dates and develop ideas for the River Party/Picnic.

Fundraising:

  • Ellie updated the members on plans for the Shipoke Flea Market to be held on July 11 from 7:00 to 2:00. A meeting will be held on Tuesday, June 16 at 7:00 to continue the planning process. It was agreed to have a Shipoke Sale Table to benefit the SNA.

Codes:

  • After discussion, it was agreed that any Property Maintenance Complaints filed with the Bureau of Codes should be cleared through the Board. As a courtesy, the resident should be approached about the problem before submitting the complaint form.

Old Business

  • Mary Beth noted that potholes are being repaired by the City.
  • It was reported that the new restaurant, Los Tres Cubanos, is planning a soft opening for Shipoke residents. A date has not been announced.
  • Regarding the City’s Recycling Program, Mary Beth reported that residents will receive a large recycle bin in addition to a large trash bin. Current trash containers will be picked up by the City. Dates have not been announced. This program has been developed to promote recycling and protect the environment.

New Business

  • Kathy reported Glen Dunbar is planning walking tours of Shipoke. The cost will be $5 per person with a maximum of 20 people per walk. Funds will be donated to the Shipoke Neighborhood Association.
  • Shirley reported on the meeting held by the Joint Building and Housing Committee and the Community and Economic Development Committee on May 11 regarding rezoning the area beyond the Route 81 Bridge. She noted under consideration are plots of land being rezoned from Industrial to Riverfront Zone which would permit hotel/motel and extended stay hotels up to 99 feet. It is felt the change would make the land marketable and attract a developer. Shipoke should not be affected by this development.
  • A meeting of Harrisburg Thriving Together will be held on June 25 from 6:00 to 8:00 at the Scottish Rite Cathedral. Members were encouraged to attend.
  • Betsy will contact Bill Sutton, with Bike Share Harrisburg, speak at a fall board meeting. This is an initiative to bring a bike share program to the City of Harrisburg so that residents, visitors and workers can travel in an easy and convenient manner. .
  • Jean Cutler will be invited to present a program on rain barrels at our General Membership Meeting in September. Jean recently received a grant for this program and has been meeting with community organizations to educate interested residents on this issue.

Next Meeting: Monday, July 6 at the home of Betty MacLaughlin,
Adjournment
: The meeting adjourned at 8:30 p.m.

Shirley Marks, Secretary

by brian

May 2015 Meeting Minutes

July 20, 2015 in Meeting Minutes by brian

Shipoke Neighborhood Association
Minutes of Board of Directors Meeting
May 4, 2015 7:00 P.M.

Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Co-President Mary Beth Follett at 7:00 p.m.

Members Present: Betsy Dorbian, Mary Beth Follett, Joanne Kaldy, Betty MacLaughlin, Kathy Marley-Dunbar, Rod Kautz, Shirley Marks and Brian Moore. Neighborhood resident Eileen Villardi was present as an invited guest.

Minutes: The minutes from the April 6, 2015 meeting were approved. A copy of the approved minutes will be sent to Dave Botero, Community Police Liaison with the City of Harrisburg.

Treasurer’s Report: Written and verbal reports were approved.

Beginning Balance as of 3/31/15: $7339.36
Income: 95.00
Expenses 173.32
Ending Balance as of 4/30/15: $7261.04

Committee Reports

 Communications:

  • Joanne noted she has been posting on Facebook and Twitter and has included upcoming events such as Art in the Park and the Glow Run. She thanked everyone for their contributions and encouraged them to continue postings on our social media accounts.
  • She will prepare the monthly email newsletter next week. Suggestions for the newsletter included Art in the Park (including neighborhood cleanup for this event), a request for volunteers for the Shipoke Flea Market, our social media, the Glow Run, and picking up after dogs.

Crime:

  • A theft was reported at 589 S. Front Street in late April. The landlord will repair or replace the damaged front door.

Beautification:

  • Approximately 20 people participated in the neighborhood cleanup on Friday, April 17. It was noted that Nate Godfrey brought nine girls from the Milton Hershey School to help with the cleanup.
  • Mulch day was also well attended on Saturday, April 24. Betty Wolf won a drawing for a massage donated by resident Gina King.
  • Mary Beth reported an email was received from James Spatz, Urban Planner/Zoning Officer for the City of Harrisburg, regarding a city-wide plan for trash cleanup. Joanne will give him the information he requested regarding Shipoke boundaries. Shirley will be Joanne’s backup for this initiative.

Social:

  • Kathy provided an update for the Art in the Park event scheduled for Sunday, June 14 from 10:00 to 4:00. Twenty Shipoke residents have received an 18-inch pot and they will design their plantings with a theme of their choice. Participants are responsible for purchasing their own plants and soil and will receive special discounts and planting advice from Highland Gardens. Local Master Gardeners will judge the pots and be on hand to answer gardening questions. Prizes will be awarded for Most Creative, Most Colorful and Best Execution of Theme. Two resident artists and four local artists will be painting in Riverfront Park.
  • After discussion, it was agreed to purchase a 1/8 page ad in The Burg. We will receive a 25% discount and Joanne will design the ad.
  • It was decided to host a reception after the event at Kathy’s home for the artists, master gardeners and pot decorating participants. Members of the board will provide refreshments.
  • Shipoke Night at the Senators will tentatively be held in August.
  • The River Party/Picnic will tentatively be held on a Saturday night in September. Joanne and Mary Beth will gather more information for this event.

Fundraising:

  • Regarding the Flea Market to be held on July 11, Ellie obtained the special event insurance and submitted the permit forms to the City.
  • It was agreed to have a Shipoke Sale Table to benefit the SNA. Mary Beth will chair this project.
  • Committees will formed and begin their planning work shortly.

Codes:

  • Property Maintenance Complaints were sent to the Bureau of Codes to report JR’s Auto Repair and 552 Race Street.
  • Shirley reported she contacted Ann Montgomery at the Bureau of Codes to follow up on complaints that have been filed over the past several months. Ann will review the complaints within the next several weeks and contact Shirley with an update.

Old Business

  • Mary Beth noted that not all the potholes she reported to the City have been filled. She will follow up with the City and request a time frame for completion.
  • After discussion, it was agreed that several board members will visit the new restaurant after it opens and welcome them to the neighborhood. Shirley and Rod will also present them with a planted pot in connection with the Art in the Park event.

New Business

  • Mary Beth reported that the Harrisburg City Council will hold a public hearing on May 11 at 5:30 regarding a request for Zoning Code Amendments and Zoning Map Amendments to allow for structures up to 99 feet in height to be permitted within the (proposed) Riverfront zone south of Interstate 83. Shirley and Joanne will attend to see how this change could affect Shipoke.
  • Joanne and Mary Beth reported they attended the Council of Communities Meeting in April. Areas of discussion at the meeting were crime, blight/litter and best practices for community organizations. Both felt it was very worthwhile to attend and we will continue attendance at future meetings.
  • It was agreed to have Bill Sutton, with Bike Share Harrisburg, speak at our August board meeting. This is an initiative to bring a bike share program to the City of Harrisburg so that residents, visitors and workers can travel in an easy and convenient manner. Betsy will invite Bill to the meeting.
  • Jean Cutler will be invited to present a program on Rain Barrels at our General Membership Meeting in September. Jean recently received a grant for this program and has been meeting with community organizations to educate interested residents on this issue.

Next Meeting: Monday, June 1 at the home of Betty MacLaughlin

Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 8:15 p.m.

Shirley Marks, Secretary

by brian

April 2015 Meeting Minutes

July 20, 2015 in Meeting Minutes by brian

Shipoke Neighborhood Association
Minutes of Board of Directors Meeting
April 6, 2015 7:00 P.M.

Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Co-President Joanne Kaldy at 7:00 p.m.

Members Present: Betsy Dorbian, Mary Beth Follett, Gene Gangwish, Maria Iaria, Joanne Kaldy, Betty MacLaughlin, Kathy Marley-Dunbar, Rod Kautz, Shirley Marks, Ellie Martindale and Brian Moore.

Joanne opened the meeting by noting that we should look at our organization, specifically:

  • What is our mission
  • Board member responsibilities
  • Attendance at board meetings

After discussion, it was agreed to invite one or two neighborhood residents to each of our board meetings to get their feedback and ideas.

Minutes: The minutes from the March 10, 2015 meeting were approved. A copy of the approved minutes are sent each month to Dave Botera, Community Police Liaison with the City of Harrisburg.

Treasurer’s Report: Written and verbal reports were approved.

Beginning Balance as of 2/28/15: $7339.36
Income: 0.00
Expenses 0.00
Ending Balance as of 3/31/15: $7339.36

Committee Reports

Communications:

  • Joanne is receiving good feedback from Facebook and Twitter. She thanked everyone for their contributions and encouraged them to continue postings on our social media accounts.
  • Ellie will prepare the monthly email newsletter.

Social:

  • Joanne noted that our annual March Social & General Membership Meeting on Sunday, March 29 at the John Harris Mansion was well organized and successful. Those attending especially enjoyed our entertainer, Charles Lee.
  • The annual Easter Egg Hunt on Saturday, April 4 in the Conoy Street Playground Park was well attended with about 20 children and 20 adults in attendance. The Senators mascot was a hit with the children. Dave Witwer chaired both events.
  • A Shipoke Night at a Senators game is being planned by Melanie.

Beautification:

  • A neighborhood cleanup is planned for Friday, April 17 from 6:30 to 8:00. Gene will host a BYOB gathering at his home after the work session.
  • Mulch day is scheduled for Saturday, April 24 from 8:00 to Noon. Gene will provide coffee and donuts.

Codes:

  • Marie reported that residents on River Street are leaving their trash cans in front of their homes. Julie Iaria will prepare a letter and Joanne will forward it to City Council member, Shamaine Daniels, for her review of the situation.
  • A Property Maintenance Complaint will be sent to the Bureau of Codes to report JR’s Auto Repair for piles of trash on their property as well as multiple cars parked beside and in back of their building. There was concern expressed that this situation could deter a prospective buyer for the Vine Street Methodist Church.
  • Shirley will follow up on complaints that have been filed over the past several months with the Bureau of Codes.

Fundraising:

  • Regarding the Flea Market to be held on July 11, Ellie reported she has the form for special event insurance and is proceeding with completing forms required by the City. She will apply for the permit, request more trash cans and will request that Conoy Street is closed for the event.
  • Kathy, Shirley and Rod will chair the Arts in the Park fundraiser to be held on Sunday, June 14 from 10:00 to 4:00. They will contact several of the “Seven Lively Artists” as well as resident artists to do and show their work along Riverfront Park. A pot decorating contest (Pots in the ‘Poke) will be held with interested residents receiving an 18” pot to plant, which will be judged by the Master Gardeners and prizes awarded to the top three. They will prepare a flyer with details and hand deliver them to each home. An update will be given at the next meeting. The board approved $200 for expenses.

Old Business

  • Mary Beth noted that potholes she reported to the City are starting to be repaired.
  • It was reported that the new Cuban restaurant will open on approximately May 1. The parking issue was discussed.

New Business

  • It was noted that three properties that have been for sale now have “Sale Pending” on their signs.
  • Betsy reported that she attended a meeting of Bike Share Harrisburg. This is an initiative to bring a bike share program to the City of Harrisburg so that residents, visitors and workers can travel in an easy and convenient manner. In order to learn more about the program, Betsy was asked to invite representatives of the group to one our meetings.
  • In an effort to promote our organization, it was agreed to meet with the Harrisburg Young Professionals leadership to discuss collaboration of our groups.

Next Meeting: Monday, May 4 at the home of Shirley Marks

Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 8:20 p.m.

Shirley Marks, Secretary

by brian

March 2015 Meeting Minutes

April 10, 2015 in Meeting Minutes by brian

Shipoke Neighborhood Association
Minutes of Board of Directors Meeting
March 10, 2015 7:00 P.M.

Call to Order:  The meeting was called to order by Co-President Joanne Kaldy at 7:00 p.m.

Members Present:  Mary Beth Follett, Joanne Kaldy, Kathy Marley-Dunbar, Marie Iaria, Rod Kautz, Shirley Marks, Ellie Martindale,  Melanie Mulkey, Dave Witwer and Betty Wolf.

Minutes:  The minutes from the February 2, 2015 meeting were approved.

Treasurer’s Report:  Written and verbal reports approved.
Beginning Balance as of 1/31/15:               $7087.35
Income:                                                         272.00
Expenses                                                      19.99
Ending Balance as of 2/28/15:                     $7339.36

Committee Reports

Communications:

  • Brian has set up a Twitter account and Joanne will post on our website, Facebook and Twitter several times a week.  She thanked everyone for their contributions to Facebook and encouraged them to continue postings on our social media accounts.

Social:

  • Our annual March Social & General Membership Meeting will be held on Sunday, March 29 at the John Harris Mansion from 4:00 to 7:00.  It will be a pot luck meal and BYOB with entertainment provided by Charles Lee, a popular R & B performer.  Board members were asked to provide a main dish for the meal.  Joanne will invite Mayor Papenfuse and members of City Council to the event.
  • The annual Easter Egg Hunt is planned for Saturday, April 4 in the Conoy Street Playground.  A public relations representative from the Harrisburg Senators will visit the egg hunt to hand out game schedules.
  • Dave Witwer is chairing both events.
  • Ellie will prepare a flyer announcing the events and Shirley & Joanne will distribute them throughout Shipoke.
  • A discussion followed regarding community-wide events for the remainder of the year.  It was agreed to invite a representatives of the Harrisburg Senators and the Harrisburg Riverboat Society to the next board meeting to present what is available in their areas.  It was noted that Shipoke resident Melissa Snyder is on the Board of Directors of the Riverboat Society.

Beautification:

  • Ellie will contact Gene to determine a date for the Spring Clean Up.  As in past years, Hershey Home students will be invited to attend.
  • Mary Beth will take the lead on replacing the Conoy Street Playground fence.  She will also check if the City is responsible for clearing snow from sidewalks at the playground.
  • Mary Beth has reported potholes in the neighborhood that need to be repaired by the City.
  • She reported that UGI has replaced gas lines and replaced brick with asphalt.  She will also check with the City on this issue.

Dogs Off-Leash:

  • Melanie reported a dog was attacked by a dog who was off-leash.  Via email, residents will be reminded:
    • Dogs must be leashed at all times
    • The City requires that all dogs must have a current City license.
    • Owners must pick up after their dogs.
    • Shirley will have damaged signs replaced in Race Street and Riverfront Parks reminding to pick up after dogs.

Fundraising:

  • Regarding the Flea Market to be held on July 11, Ellie reported she has the form for special event insurance and is proceeding with completing forms required by the City.  She will apply for the permit, request more trash cans and will request that Conoy Street is closed for the event.
  • Joanne will chair the Bake Table; Rod & Betty will chair Hot Dog & Food Sales.
  • Kathy will chair the flower pot decorating for the Arts in the Park fundraiser to be held in mid-June.  Her committee will meet to discuss details of the project, meet with Master Gardeners for their input and report at the next meeting. The committee members are Kathy, Shirley, Marie, Mary Beth, Rod and Mike Snyder.

New Business

  • Joanne reported that a prospective buyer for Vine Street Methodist Church contacted her requesting information about the neighborhood.  He and his family hope to live there.
  • Rod reported he spoke with the contractors working on the new Cuban restaurant.  It is hoped it will open by the end of March.  Rod will check with them on their plans for patron parking.  He also suggested they be invited to the March Social & General Membership Meeting.
  • Melanie and Curtis attended the Community Association city-wide meeting that discussed areas of the City that need improvement such as the homeless, street lights, crime, etc.  The next meeting is March 23 at 7:00 and Melanie and Curtis plan to attend.  Joanne will “like” them on Facebook.
  • Mary Beth and Joanne volunteered to do some media training with board members.
  • After a discussion regarding new Code regulations and work being done in the neighborhood, it was decided to invite members of the Harrisburg Architectural Review Board (HARB) to the March Social & General Membership Meeting and also to the next Board Meeting.
  • Shirley will follow up on Property Maintenance Complaint forms that have been filed with the City Codes Department.

Next Meeting:  Monday, April 6

Adjournment:   The meeting adjourned at 8:30 p.m.

Shirley Marks, Secretary

by brian

February 2015 Meeting Minutes

April 10, 2015 in Meeting Minutes by brian

Shipoke Neighborhood Association
Minutes of Board of Directors Meeting
February 2, 2015 7:00 P.M.

Call to Order:  The meeting was called to order by Co-President Mary Beth Follett at 7:00 p.m.

Members Present:  Mary Beth Follett, Joanne Kaldy, Kathy Marley-Dunbar, Marie Iaria, Betty MacLaughlin, Shirley Marks, Ellie Martindale and Dave Witwer.

Invited Guests:  Rod Kautz and Mike Snyder.

Minutes:  The minutes from the January 5, 2015 meeting were approved.

Treasurer’s Report:  Written and verbal reports approved.
Beginning Balance as of 12/30/14:            $7578.05
Income:                                                        0.00
Expenses:                                                    340.70
Outstanding Check DCHS:                           150.00
Ending Balance as of 1/31/15:                     $7087.35

Committee Reports:

Crime Watch:

    • It was reported that a storm door was damaged at a home on Hanna Street.
    • A noise complaint was filed on a house on Tuscarora Street.

Communications:

    • Joanne reported she emailed the Penn Live link and also pictures from Fox News and Channel 21 News regarding the Groundhog Day event to Brian Moore to post on our Web page.
    • She will also ask Brian to give interested board members social media training.

 Social:

    • In planning for our March Social, Dave Witwer contacted the John Harris Mansion and reserved Sunday, March 29 for the SNA Spring Social.  Kathy will contact Charles Lee for entertainment.  The event will be a covered dish and BYOB.
    • The recent Groundhog Day Event was discussed.  From comments received, attendees appreciated the opportunity to meet with neighbors and felt it was a huge success, well organized and gave the neighborhood good PR.  Joanne will send thank you letters to Mayor Papenfuse, Hal Fox, Kim Leggett and Al Rodriguez.

Beautification:

    • Replacement of the fence around the Conoy Street Playground was discussed.  Mike will check whose responsibility it is to replace the fence – the Shipoke neighborhood or the City.

Upcoming Events and Plans:

    • Joanne reviewed our plans to promote the neighborhood:
      • Use Twitter and Facebook more extensively.
      • Keep the website updated with future event details and then post pictures and other information when the events have been held.
      • Keep the website updated with SNA board minutes.
      • Plan activities that would attract more visitors to our area such as a Garden Tour, Arts in the Park and a River Party.
      • Rod Kautz suggested we connect with other organizations in the City such as the Susquehanna Art Museum.
      • Mike Snyder suggested, in conjunction with another event, we have artists decorate large flower pots and Master Gardeners do plantings in them.  We could approach local merchants to donate the pots and plants.
      • Mike also noted that it is likely we could qualify for funding for projects through a Stream Grant with Jump Street.  He volunteered to assist with the grant writing.
      • It was suggested we invite realtors to a board meeting for their ideas to promote our area.
      • Glen Dunbar has put together a seminar on flood insurance which could educate prospective homeowners, current homeowners and renters.
      • Mike stated the Cuban Restaurant should be opening in March which will bring visitors to the neighborhood.
      • A “Save the Date” flyer for upcoming neighborhood events will be prepared, emailed and hand delivered to each home.
      • The following committees were formed to discuss details/budgets for future events:
        • (Spring) Arts in the Park (including realtors, house tours & pots) – Marie Iaria, Mary Beth Follett, Shirley Marks, Kathy Marley-Dunbar, Mike Snyder, Rod Kautz.
        • (Fall) River Party – Joanne Kaldy, Dave Witwer, Rod Kautz, Mary Beth Follett.

Fundraising:

    • Ellie volunteered to chair the Flea Market to be held Saturday, July 11 from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.  She will apply for the permit, request more trash cans and will request that Conoy Street is closed for the event.
    • In April we will begin planning meetings and set up committees.
    • Ellie is organizing the procedure book.
    • Mary Beth will check on liability coverage for the event.
    • Susan Fahey will prepare a list of vendors to contact.

New Business:

  • Concerns were presented regarding responsibilities and deadlines for snow removal.  Mike will provide a copy of the City ordinance.
  • Mike noted that as of November, 2014 City codes have changed.  There are specific codes that apply to residents who reside in historic districts.
  • Rod asked members for their support at the March 2 HARB meeting.  He made changes to a portion of his home without a building permit and will appear before the board to discuss the assessed fine he received.  Mike noted that there is a minimal fee to obtain a building permit and projects are to be presented to the Harrisburg Architectural Review Board before the project begins.
  • Rod volunteered to write an article regarding specific ordinances and where to find them.
  • Mike will check on available grants to replace damaged sidewalks in front of homes.
  • Judy Polliard reported her concern for street repairs that are needed at Tuscarora and Showers Streets near the Premier Eye parking lot.  Premier Eye will be contacted and it will be reported to the City for their review.
  • Melanie and Curtis Mulkey will represent the SNA at a community association meeting scheduled in March.
  • Bill Cluck is considering running for District Justice.  This is for information only as the board does not support specific individuals or political parties.

Next Meeting:  Tuesday, March 3

Adjournment:   The meeting adjourned at 8:15 p.m.

Shirley Marks, Secretary

by brian

January 2015 Meeting Minutes

February 15, 2015 in Meeting Minutes by brian

Shipoke Neighborhood Association
Minutes of Board of Directors Meeting
January 5, 2015 7:00 P.M.

Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by President Joanne Kaldy at 7:00 p.m.

Members Present: Mary Beth Follett, Joanne Kaldy, Kathy Marley-Dunbar, Gene Gangwish, Curtis Mulkey, Melanie Mulkey, Dave Witwer, Betty MacLaughlin, Ellie Martindale, Betsy Dorbian, Shirley Marks

Minutes: The minutes from the December 1, 2014 meeting were approved.

Treasurer’s Report: Written and verbal reports approved.
Beginning Balance as of 11/30/14: $7578.05
Income: 00.00
Expenses: 00.00
Ending Balance as of 12/31/14: $7578.05

It was noted that the new check signers for the organization will be Joanne Kaldy, Kathy Marley-Dunbar and Shirley Marks. They are currently working with Metro Bank to complete all necessary paperwork for this change.

Committee Reports

 Crime Watch:

  • Gene Gangwish reported that his truck was broken into on November 2.

Social:

  • Joanne reported that the committee has been meeting weekly and plans are continuing for our second annual Groundhog Day Celebration on Saturday, January 31 at 10:00 a.m. in the Conoy Street Playground. The festivities then will move into a historic carriage house on Showers Street with music, food and fun for the whole family. Free donuts, coffee and other treats will be provided in addition to a special children’s program with groundhog-themed story time and arts/crafts. She reported a t-shirt logo has been designed and shirts will be ordered, in addition to buttons and magnets and will be available for sale. Proceeds will support neighborhood beautification and other projects and programs.
  • In planning for our March Social, Dave Witwer will contact the John Harris Mansion for the availability of March 15 or 29 beginning at 4:00. It will be a covered dish meal. Various types of entertainment for the event were discussed and a final decision will be made at the next meeting.

Beautification:

  • The need for a new fence around the Conoy Street Playground was discussed. Repairs to the current fence will be done in the spring and we will hold fundraisers to replace it as soon as possible.

Communication:

  • Joanne encouraged members to add information to our Facebook page to make it more active and informational. It was suggested we showcase individual Shipoke residents.
  • A “Save a Date” flyer for upcoming neighborhood events will be prepared, emailed and hand delivered to each home.

Fundraising:

  • The Flea Market is Saturday, July 11 from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
  • In April we will begin planning meetings and set up committees.
  • Ellie is organizing the procedure book.
  • Mary Beth will check on liability coverage for the event.
  • Susan will prepare a list of vendors to contact.
  • When we apply for a permit we will request that Conoy Street be closed to avoid traffic congestion
  • The poster fundraiser will be done at a later time.

Old Business:

  • Joanne noted that she took pictures of three lights that are out in the neighborhood and will contact the City for repair.
  • Shirley reported she filed Property Maintenance Complaint Forms for 622 Showers Street (fence and trash), 100 and 106 Conoy Street (broken bricks around trees). She will follow up on previously submitted complaint forms.
  • It was decided to discuss the “Arts in Shipoke” event at the next meeting.

New Business:

  • It was suggested we invite the new City arborist to a board meeting.

Next Meeting: Monday, February 2 at the home of Ellie Martindale.

Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 8:00 p.m.

Shirley Marks, Secretary